1. WOW I’ve been quiet. (Well, at least on the blog.) It’s been busy, but I’m feeling a bit of a ‘lull’ coming on, if only for a week or two. My two big tests are over (can’t say I’m super impressed with either; still waiting on a grade for one of them) as well as my interviews for the coordinated program. Just trying to stay on top of all the studying before the next round of tests.
2. I painted my nails GREEN this afternoon (while studying, of course). St. Patrick’s Day is Sunday, and while I’m not Irish, I always get super excited. I’m not sure what we’re doing this year, but I’m ready with painted nails, an ‘I’m not Irish but kiss me anyway’ t-shirt and I make a mean Irish Soda Bread. Invite me to your party today!
3. Mini-Lent Update: I’ve lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks! Hurray! I realize this isn’t what Lent is about, but I was pretty happy this morning when I hopped on the scale, and am even wearing my skinny jeans in celebration. On a more spiritual note, God has really been revealing to me just how much I was letting food control me. When I did this same study with Emily a couple years ago, I refused (and I mean REFUSED) to give up sweets, extolling an ‘everything in moderation’ approach. Well. If Lent has taught me anything, it’s that I have been using that cookie here and those M&Ms there (not to mention the giant bowl of ice cream at night) as sources of comfort and plain indulging my taste buds for TOO LONG. It’s my prayer that one day soon I won’t even really crave these treats, and that I would come to crave God with the fervor (thanks for the word, Regina!) with which I crave sweets.
4. We’re getting away! It’s a bit spur of the moment (points for me!), but Andrew and I have decided we need a weekend AWAY. Away from house-cleaning, projects, school and these animals! I announced it a couple nights ago and Andrew jumped right into planning. We’re headed to New York City. Now, if I can only limit the amount of ‘dessert’ stops Andrew plans in the city… (Trust me, I’m already in prayer!)
5. We got more snow this morning. It’s absolutely frigid here. I just cannot keep the house warm enough. I’m even planning to DRIVE the mile to Taste (our local coffee shop, where you can find me studying each Friday afternoon), which irks me to no end. Although, I did just see someone walking past our house just now. If she can do it, so can I! (But don’t hold me to it…)
6. I haven’t cooked in what feels like forever. We’ve been busy and in an effort to spend less at the grocery store, I’ve been trying to use things we already have. This resulted in Andrew’s less-than-enthusiastic response to some frozen tamales one night and his favorite nutty sweet potato soup another night, which I paired with homemade cinnamon raisin bread. YUM.
7. The savings at the grocery store has gone directly to wine purchases. $100 in a span of four days. Hey, it was the $1 sale at Premier and then I went to a wine and cheese pairing class at our local store… I think 11 bottles for less than $100 is pretty good, don’t you??? (At the very least, we are good for AWHILE.)
8. Anyone in need of a very large composter? (Or know of someone who may be?) Long story short: Andrew was awesome and got me a composter a couple years ago, except he thought bigger was better. (Of course.) Well, it’s too big for us and after two failed attempts to make compost, I admitted to him it’s a giant source of stress and guilt for me. I had no idea when he gave me the bigger one what a challenge it would be to fill it. So, if I can find a home for the big one, I’d very much like to get the one I WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. (Bonus: the smaller one allows you to compost in the winter, too, which is how all this has come up just now. It pains me–physically–to throw away all the compostable material I use in the kitchen all winter!)
9. I have a surprise for Andrew tomorrow. It involves our Saturday morning breakfast. And that’s all I’m saying!
10. Pantry project/kitchen lighting has not been touched in days. You better believe that’s on the agenda this weekend…